Car insurance laws by state

car insurance

State-by-state auto insurance regulations differ, but all jurisdictions want some kind of car insurance or proof of financial stability. Car insurance may appear to be an additional expense, but it actually protects you, your family, and your vehicle in the event of an accident or vehicle damage.

The auto coverages listed below may generally be required to some extent by state auto insurance legislation. Visit our state auto insurance page for further details on auto insurance laws by state.

Physical harm liability

The injuries you, the designated driver or policyholder, cause to another person are covered by liability insurance. You might also be protected when using someone else’s car with their consent if you and your family members are included on the policy.

Medical bills or personal injury insurance (PIP)

State vehicle insurance rules often demand for medical insurance that covers the cost of treating injuries to the policyholder’s passengers and driver. PIP may compensate for medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related expenses.

Property damage liability

This motor insurance policy covers any damage to another person’s property that you (or a driver with your authorization) might cause. In addition to damage to your car, this could also involve harm to lampposts, telephone poles, fences, buildings, and other objects your car hits.

Collision protection

This coverage safeguards you in the event that your car sustains damage in a collision with another car or object, or if it flips over. Road pothole damage could also be covered by collision insurance.

Complete coverage

Your loss due to theft or damage from an event other than a collision, such as a fire, falling objects, earthquake, windstorm, hail, flood, vandalism, or contact with animals, is covered by comprehensive coverage. States don’t technically mandate that you buy collision or comprehensive insurance. Yet, if you have a car loan, your lender can require you keep driving it until you have paid off the balance.

Coverage for uninsured and underinsured drivers

If one of you is struck by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver, this coverage will pay you, a member of your family, or a designated driver for your damages.

When the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your whole loss, underinsured motorist coverage kicks in. If you are attacked while walking, this covering could also shield you.

Get an auto insurance quotation or consult with a local insurance agent to ensure you have the appropriate level of coverage and that you are in compliance with the insurance laws of your state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *